Brrr…it’s getting cold out there! Did you know that each year, as much as half the energy used in the average home goes into heating and cooling? The freezing temperatures of winter can add extra stress on your HVAC system, which often means more money coming out of your pocket for utility costs. Here are some energy saving tips for winter that you can use to make the holiday season merrier, a little less expensive, and economically brighter!
– Take advantage of natural light and heat from the sun during daylight hours by drawing back the curtains or blinds on windows throughout your home.
– Use a programmable thermostat to set the temperature up to 10 degrees lower during hours when you’re not at home. As part of its innovative GreenSmart program, Brock Built installs digital programmable thermostats in every home that it builds; helping new homeowners cut utility bills by as much as 20 percent.
– If you use a fireplace during winter months, be sure to always close the damper when it is not in use. Otherwise, warm air will escape right up the chimney!
– Change your home’s air filters in your home every month during the winter when HVAC use is heavy. Otherwise, dust and dirt can build up and block adequate air flow or even lead to system damage or failure.
– Ready to put up festive holiday lights? Be sure to purchase LED strings for maximum efficiency.
As an innovative, green-thinking homebuilder, Brock Built prides itself on constructing new homes throughout metro Atlanta that are built with energy in mind. Every home that we construct comes with standard GreenSmart features—house wrap which seals and protects your home from air leakage, spray-on fiberglass insulation, high-efficiency gas furnaces, air sealing of the attic stairs and knee walls, high-efficiency light bulbs, ENERGY STAR appliances and more.
For even more ways to save, check out the U.S. Department of Energy Fall and Winter Energy-Saving Tips.
To learn more about how our team can help you build a “green” home that is built with your future in mind, visit the Brock Built website today and check out our new communities throughout Cherokee, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties, or call our office at 404-472-5707.