You’ve probably heard a thing or two about HOAs. If you’re unfamiliar, you may think they’re responsible for sending you a letter telling you to take the flamingos out of your yard. Still, the benefits of HOA go far beyond exterior maintenance!
The majority of homeowners get to experience the benefits of HOA amenities. In fact, 53% of all homeowners live in HOA neighborhoods, and 80% of new construction homes in 2020 were part of an HOA community. These lucky homeowners get to experience incredible HOA amenities while maintaining property values. But that’s not all!
Keep reading to get the scoop on all of the benefits of HOA to help you evaluate the question, “Is HOA worth it for me?”
In this article:
- What is an HOA Community?
- What are Common HOA Amenities?
- What are the Benefits of HOA?
- Is HOA Worth It?
What is an HOA Community?
An HOA, short for homeowner’s association, is a self-governing organization whereby homeowners pay fees to maintain the neighborhood. An HOA community is typically run by elected board members and volunteer residents to create and enforce restrictions within the neighborhood on what can and cannot be done. The HOA board also manages the maintenance and upkeep of common areas, neighborhood amenities, and social calendars (if applicable).
While HOA fees typically only cover shared amenities and spaces, some HOA community fees cover exterior maintenance and appearances like landscaping, painting, and roofing repairs. This is common in townhome communities.
The primary purpose of the governing association in an HOA community is to enforce rules that maintain property values and homeowner satisfaction throughout the neighborhood.
What are Common HOA Amenities?
HOA community amenities will vary depending on the neighborhood offerings and local ordinances. For example, HOA amenities in a high-rise condo may differ significantly from the HOA amenities in a sprawling neighborhood of single family homes.
- Common HOA amenities include:
- Outdoor recreation such as swimming pools, pocket parks, playgrounds, and walking trails.
- Fitness center or private gym space.
- Athletic activities like tennis courts, basketball courts, pickleball, bocce, and golf.
- Social events such as mixers and holiday parties hosted in a shared clubhouse.
- Landscaping and exterior maintenance in common areas.
- Concierge-level services like restaurant reservations, valet, and more.
- Spa services such as massages, facials, and beauty care.
- Business center with co-working space, printers, and conference rooms.
What are the Benefits of HOA?
Though no two HOA neighborhoods are the same, there are so many benefits of HOA that are universal to the majority. The benefits of HOA typically outweigh any arguments against them since an HOA community usually has more to offer its residents.
Maintain Property Values
The overall goal of an HOA community is to maintain property values by maintaining common areas and attractive amenities and creating a generally beautiful and enjoyable environment for residents and guests. One of the benefits of HOA communities is that homeowners take pride in maintaining a desirable neighborhood. Amenities and homes in HOA neighborhoods are consistently maintained and repaired to create an aesthetically-pleasing atmosphere.
Access Recreational Activities at Home
There’s nothing better than experiencing your favorite amenities without leaving the neighborhood. Whether you’re an avid tennis player or your children love to play on the playground, recreational activities like private sports courts, swimming pools, and parks right outside your door are incredibly valuable.
WIth these HOA amenities in your neighborhood, you won’t have to drive through traffic for a friendly match or share the slide. 24/7 access to private HOA amenities is convenient–not to mention fun!
Enjoy Well-Maintained Common Areas
In an HOA community, you can enjoy well-maintained common areas like parks and recreational activities without the responsibility of repair and maintenance. Things like landscaping, lawn care, street lighting, and entry design create a pleasant environment that will “wow” your guests and makes every day a beautiful day.
Best of all, one of the essential benefits of HOA is that in the event of costly repairs to amenities or unplanned expenses, a smartly-managed HOA neighborhood will maintain enough funds to cover unexpected financial surprises without additional assessments.
Feel a Sense of Community
An HOA community naturally brings neighbors together through shared use of HOA amenities, social events, and general neighborhood pride. Neighbors meet each other on the pickleball courts, at the clubhouse, on the swingset, or walking along the sidewalks outside their homes.
Is HOA Worth It?
If you’re asking yourself, “Is HOA worth it for my family?” as you house hunt, you’re certainly not alone. While homeowners love the flexibility and freedom that comes with a neighborhood without HOA, homeowners equally love the benefits of HOA, like an active community of neighbors.
So what’s the difference between an HOA vs no HOA neighborhood? When evaluating homes with HOA vs no HOA, there are many aspects of the community to take into account.
An HOA community might be for you if:
- You want to enjoy private amenities like a swimming pool, sports activities, and common areas.
- You value a strong sense of community with your neighbors.
- You hold your home and property appearance to a high aesthetic standard.
- You support enforcing rules and regulations that maintain a pleasurable neighborhood experience.
A community without an HOA might be for you if:
- You want the freedom to alter your home and property without asking for permission first.
- You don’t mind independently maintaining landscaping and repairs to your property.
- Your budget doesn’t fit monthly or annual HOA dues.
- You have no need or use for activities and HOA amenities like swimming pools, outdoor activities, and recreation.
When all is said and done, it’s essential to enjoy your home, neighborhood, and neighbors. One of the benefits of HOA is that the area is made more enjoyable for all, thanks to a series of rules and regulations, desirable HOA amenities, and beautifully-maintained spaces.
Is HOA worth it for you? That’s a personal decision for homeowners choosing between HOA vs no HOA communities for their next homes. If an HOA community sounds fun and exciting to you, we’ve got plenty of spectacular HOA neighborhoods throughout Georgia, Florida, and soon, Alabama! Get in touch with one of our team members to hear about the fantastic HOA amenities we offer in your favorite neighborhoods in the southeast.