Of the 332 million people in the United States in 2021, 98.66 million were over the age of 55. If you’re one of those who have reached retirement age, you may find yourself looking for a new home that provides a new lifestyle–one that favors a slower pace, with quieter moments to spend on hobbies and socializing.
Luckily for retirement-aged adults, the popularity of the 55+ active adult community is growing quickly! According to 55places.com, there are 128 listed active adult communities in Georgia. But, what is an active adult community? These senior adult neighborhoods for those aged 55 and up provide many benefits for those looking to find their forever home in a tight-knit community.
In this article:
- What is an active adult community?
- What are the pros of living in a 55+ active adult community?
- What are the cons of living in a 55+ active adult community?
- Tips for Choosing an Active Adult Community
- Active Adult Communities in Georgia
What is an active adult community?
An active adult community (sometimes called a senior adult community or retirement community) is a community that offers independent living properties to residents who are 55 and older. The properties may be single-family homes, townhomes, or condos, or the neighborhood may offer a variety of structures. For example, The Reserve at Bells Ferry offers single-family homes with open floor plans. At any 55+ active adult community, you may purchase or rent your home, and the neighborhoods can be independent or part of a master-planned community.
Typically, an age-restricted 55+ active adult community requires at least one household member to be 55 years or older. This means that spouses or family members under 55 years old may be allowed to occupy the home, but community restrictions vary.
So, what is an active adult community? It’s a place that knows what retirees and active 55+ adults want, and it provides those amenities for them in a designated community of independent living properties.
What are the pros of living in a 55+ active adult community?
Many active adults choose a senior adult community because of the desirable lifestyle. Advantages of a 55+ active adult community include:
- Low-maintenance lifestyle. Forget about lawn care, exterior maintenance, and upkeep. Exterior maintenance is often included in the homeowner’s association of a 55+ active adult community.
- Sense of community. With age restrictions in place, you may have more in common with neighbors in similar life stages. Connecting with your peers comes naturally when you can talk about your children, grandchildren, lifelong careers, or your new hobbies. Plus, active social calendars make it easy to meet your neighbors.
- Attractive amenities. Onsite recreational amenities like clubhouses, walking trails, and sports courts create a welcoming place to develop a new hobby, start an exercise regimen, or connect with neighbors.
- Convenient location. Active adult communities are often located near daily conveniences like grocery stores, pharmacies, medical offices, and entertainment. The Reserve at Bells Ferry, for example, is minutes away from a wide selection of activities in downtown Woodstock, GA.
What are the cons of living in a 55+ active adult community?
Despite all the advantages of living in a 55+ active adult community, community restrictions may create disadvantages for some residents. Downsides to living in a senior adult community may be:
- Smaller homes. For many, downsizing as you grow older is desirable! However, adjusting to smaller homes with smaller yards may be difficult.
- Age restrictions. Though you can enjoy unlimited access to all of the club amenities and social events in your new active adult community, the same amenities may not be available for visitors such as your children and grandchildren.
- Lack of healthcare services. If you require frequent health check-ups as you grow older, leaving the property may often feel inconvenient.
- Limited services and amenities: Resources like transportation, cleaning services, and laundry aren’t always included.
5 Tips for Choosing an Active Adult Community
Choosing “the one” can be tiring with so many different active adult communities in Georgia. Whether it’s an active social calendar or quiet, slow living you’re looking for, these five tips will help you narrow down your search.
#1 Make a Wishlist
Before starting your search, make a wishlist of the features you desire from the home and the community. What is a perfect active adult community for you? Answer these questions to help you prioritize your needs:
- Do I want to live in a single-family home, a condo, or a townhome?
- Do I want to purchase or rent?
- What type of amenities would I enjoy?
- How many social activities will I participate in?
- Are nearby shopping, dining, and entertainment activities important?
#2 Think Ahead
If you’re planning on making a 55+ active adult community your forever home, think ahead to the future. The thought of a vibrant community with tennis courts and a swimming pool may be a priority to you now, but you should also consider how your lifestyle may change over 5, 10, and 15+ years.
Consider how the home is built and how that may impact your lifestyle as you grow older. Look for features like:
- Main floor living with living room, kitchen, primary bedroom, and bathrooms on the first floor.
- No steps into or out of the home and no stairways inside.
- Wide doors and hallways to allow wheelchairs to move freely.
- Safety features like security systems, emergency response systems, and keypad locks.
#3 Explore the Amenities
One of the significant advantages of living in a 55+ active adult community is the lifestyle that comes with various recreational amenities and social events. What are the active adult community’s amenities?
Popular senior adult community amenities include:
- Tennis, pickleball, bocce courts
- Community gardens
- Green Spaces and Walking trails
- Dog parks
- Swimming pool
- Fitness centers with group and individual exercise classes
- Golf courses
- Art, hobby, and skill-building classes
- Social events like game night, book club, and more
#4 Read the Community Guidelines
It’s essential to review the community guidelines to ensure that your new home will fit the lifestyle you desire. 55+ active adult community rules establish an enjoyable living experience for all residents and upkeep community standards for amenities and maintenance.
It’s important to understand the rules covering things like:
- Maintenance. What is the active adult community’s maintenance service? Many senior adult community associations will manage your yard work, exterior upkeep, and painting, but it’s imperative to determine what is not covered.
- Amenities. If you plan to have visitors frequently, you should understand the age restrictions for the neighborhood. Some amenities in your active adult community may not allow those under 18 to use the onsite community amenities.
#5 Visit the Community
Once you’ve narrowed your list of 55+ active adult community choices, it’s important to visit the community to experience it yourself. What is the active adult community really like? You can tour homes and floorplans to get a sense of the builder’s style and quality and preview the onsite amenities.
Most importantly, you can experience the community’s activity. Are the residents friendly and active, or is the neighborhood more peaceful and quiet? Does the location have all of the nearby conveniences you need, such as pharmacies, grocery stores, restaurants, and shopping? You’ll get a better sense of the lifestyle once you observe it in real time.
If you’re unable to visit in person, many senior adult community sales agents can give you a virtual tour over the phone or computer.
Active Adult Communities in Georgia
Now that you’re sold on finding a 55+ active adult community, we’ve got great news for you. Brock Built provides our own spin on active adult communities in Georgia–The Reserve at Bells Ferry–available now!
If you’re looking for active adult communities in Kennesaw, Georgia, you’ve come to the right place. The Reserve at Bells Ferry offers a variety of main floor living floor plans with spacious living areas and luxurious personalized finishes. You can cross yard work off your to-do list: landscaping and exterior maintenance are included in the community association!
Exceptional club amenities include bocce and pickleball, a serene community garden, and a private dog park for human’s best friend. Plus, there are plenty of things to do nearby in and near Kennesaw. All the convenience of shopping, dining, and entertainment in Kennesaw, Marietta, and Atlanta are just minutes away!
Ready to retire to a new way of living? Contact us today for exclusive news and updates from Brock Built’s vibrant active adult community!
What are the disadvantages of living in a 55+ community?
While 55+ active adult communities have plenty of benefits, there are a few downsides as well. It’s important to consider community restrictions like limited services and amenities, age restrictions, less space, and lack of healthcare services.
What is the largest 55+ community in the US?
The Villages in Florida is a 55+ active adult community that contains approximately 70,000 households and spans over 20,000 acres. It is an entirely self-sustaining town.
What is the meaning of an active adult community?
A 55+ active adult community (sometimes called a senior adult community or retirement community) is a community that offers independent living properties to residents who are 55 and older. They typically include convenient amenities like social activities, green spaces, and other ways to stay active.
What are the pros and cons of living in a 55+ active adult community?
Some pros include: low maintenance lifestyle, sense of community, attractive amenities, and convenient location. Some cons include: limited services and amenities, age restrictions, less space, and lack of healthcare services.