Holiday entertaining is about gathering family, friends, and neighbors together for seasonal celebrations and festive occasions. Of course, there is usually plenty of food, drink, and cheer to go around which creates the perfect opportunity for new Brock Built homeowners to use their gourmet kitchens while they entertain guests in their new homes.
Don’t Forget the Appetizers
Thanksgiving is almost here and the majority of cooking effort in the kitchen will be spent on the turkey, sides, and desserts. This tends to leave some folks with very little time to plan and serve appetizers for guests to enjoy while finishing touches are being put on the big meal. What if you could serve a variety of simple, delicious, and easy to make bite-sized starters that your guests will love? Keep reading and you may just become known as the “toast of the town” when it comes to holiday entertaining.
Easy, Simple & Fun Bites
So what sort of holiday entertaining, small bites are we talking about? We’re talking about crostini or small toasted bread (usually sliced baguette) topped with flavors and ingredients you want to serve. Crostini is Italian for little toasts and if you haven’t made them before, we think you’re going to enjoy putting them all together. These elegant appetizers make holiday entertaining easier so you can spend more time with your guests instead of trapped in the kitchen. Not to mention they make you look like a gourmet pro and cleanup is a breeze because they are handheld, so you don’t need utensils to eat them.
Recipes for topping crostini are easy to plan, prep, create, and assemble without adding stress. You can serve your guests several kinds of these tasty bites in whatever combination of flavors you prefer to make. When it’s all said and done these small starters are simply delicious. We know you will enjoy trying any and all of the crostini topping ideas we have listed below. Plus you can follow the links for even more recipes or make up your own flavor combos. Have fun with it!
Step #1 – Easy make & bake crostini
– Prepare 1 day ahead, store in airtight container or bag
– Slice 1-2 loaves of French bread into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
(Note: Baguette works best, but you can try other kinds of crusty, round bread)
– Brush each slice with olive oil or melted butter
– Place the rounds on baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees until crisp throughout and lightly golden around the edges, about 12-15 minutes (oven temps vary)
Step #2 -Topping ideas and suggestions
– Cream cheese, thinly sliced smoked salmon, garnish with fresh dill
– Cream cheese, chopped smoked trout, garnish with fresh chives
– Cream cheese, top with salami and sliced plum tomatoes
– Mashed avocado with salt and lime juice, top with shrimp; option: pepper to taste
– Mashed avocado, top with thinly sliced radish and crumbled bacon
– Fig jam, top with gorgonzola cheese and prosciutto.
– Fig jam, top with goat cheese and chopped walnuts
– Fig jam or thinly sliced figs, top with sprinkle of sea salt, drizzle of honey
– Unsalted butter, top with thinly sliced ham and B&B pickles
– Unsalted butter, top with thinly sliced bread-and-butter pickles
– Plain or garlic hummus, top with olive tapenade
– Roasted garlic hummus, top with sliced plum tomatoes, sea salt
– Ricotta cheese, top with roasted red peppers, sea salt & pepper
– Pimento cheese, top with crumbled bacon and sliced grape tomatoes
– Goat cheese, top with thinly sliced radishes; sprinkle with sea salt & pepper
– Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, top with sliced pears, chopped walnuts, drizzle of honey
– Fresh Pesto sauce, top with sliced mozzarella, sliced plum tomato, drizzle of balsamic vinegar
– Fresh Pesto sauce, top with crumbled bacon and chopped tomatoes
– Fresh Pesto sauce, top with sun-dried tomatoes, shaved parmesan
– Brie or other soft cheese, top with diced strawberries, fresh chopped basil, drizzle of balsamic vinegar
– Brie or other soft cheese, top with candied pecans or walnuts
– Brie or other soft cheese, top with thinly sliced ham and a touch of grainy mustard
Find these and many more crostini topping ideas on Food Network, Delish, and Real Simple.
Gourmet Kitchens, Open Floor Plans
Whether you’re hosting a seasonal cocktail party, an annual holiday meal, or a more formal dinner party – it’s easy to see how the combination of a new home with a gourmet kitchen and open floor plan design creates an excellent setting for entertaining. We love the idea of our homebuyers starting their own traditions so much that the majority of our current layouts and interior designs deliver open kitchens, with views to the main gathering and dining areas. Now when you’re cooking and entertaining, it’s much easier to be involved in conversations with family, friends, and guests. Our gourmet inspired kitchens are equipped with stainless steel Energy Star appliances, gorgeous granite countertops and islands, beautiful cabinetry, lovely tile backsplashes, and more exceptional detailing.
Always Nice to Hear
Brock Built homeowners consistently let us know how much they love cooking and entertaining in their new Atlanta homes and that makes us very happy to hear. Contact us or visit our available Atlanta communities to learn more. We wish everyone a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving!