If this is your first fall and winter in your new home in Atlanta from Brock Built, you may be wondering how you can save even more energy and money during the cooler months. While our homes already offer energy efficient designs and features, there are a few things you can do to maximize your savings. Here are some of our favorite (and easy) tips for fall and winter energy savings:
- Shut and lock all of your windows to keep warm air from escaping.
- Open the curtains or blinds on your south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Schedule service for your heating system to make sure it is running optimally.
- Replace the filter in your furnace once per month.
- The maximum heat you should set your thermostat to is 68 degrees.
- When you’re sleeping or away from your home, turn down the thermostat. For each lowered degree, you could save up to 2 percent on your bill.
- Shut the door and/or vents in unused rooms to keep them from being heated. This could save you up to 3 percent on your bill.
- Turn your water heater’s temperature down to 120 degrees.
- Close the damper on your fireplace when it’s not in use.
- Replace your older holiday lights with the LED version.
If you aren’t already a resident of one of our Atlanta new homes communities, now is the perfect time to move in before the holidays and the really cold weather hit. All of our homes are built to meet our GreenSmart program standards, which means your new home will automatically save not only on energy, but also your wallet. Plus, with today’s most requested features and finishes included inside and out of our homes and the opportunity to personalize your home in our design center, you are sure to impress your family members visiting for the holidays. To learn more, give us a call at 404-472-5707.